Sunday, September 24, 2017

Fantastic Fest Mini - COLD HELL

It's 2:30am on Friday and I am six movie posts behind, and it's only going to get worse from here.  Let's power through the last film of Day 1: COLD HELL.

This is the first fest film I straight-up loved.  THOROUGHBREDS was interesting and 3ft BALL & SOULS came very close, but COLD HELL is exactly my type of movie.  It's a German thriller based in Vienna, Austria about a Turkish woman named Ozge (Violetta Schurawlow) who becomes the target of a killer after witnessing an incredibly brutal murder. We stay with Ozge through almost all of the film, so everything rests on Schurawlow's shoulders.  Fortunately, they are strong shoulders.  Ozge is a kickboxer who takes absolutely no shit.  There are undeniable GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO parallels, but this film is less of a mystery and more of a direct threat.  Also, Ozge faces discrimination not only due to her gender, but also because to her nationality.  Expect a full piece on this one as soon as the Blu Ray is released (whenever that may be), as this movie kicks huge quantities of ass.

Update: I forgot to post this Friday night and now it's (checking) Sunday morning and I'm 10 films behind.  This Austin Movieworld thing is like nothing I've ever dealt with, and I'm still trying to get my footing.  Unbelievably fun, but super busy.  I'll keep changing up the format until I make it work. Gotta run and catch a movie now, because this is what we do here.

C Chaka

No comments:

Post a Comment